XLRI Jamshedpur conducts XAT Exam on 5th Jan 2020. It is a computer-based examination which has a duration of 180 minutes. XAT Exam not only needs a lot of preparation and self-study but also focus. In this article, we can see the tips and tricks that can help you crack XAT Exam.
The XAT 2020 preparation involves various aspects, and if we cover all these aspects, then we can surely clear the exam. Following are the various aspects:
- Understanding Exam pattern and Exam syllabus
- Prepare with best books and preparation material
- Prepare through mock test
- Focus on section-wise preparation
- Take coaching if needed, otherwise, do self-study
- Follow tips from experts and exam toppers.
1.Understanding XAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus
XAT Exam pattern consists of Paper 1 and Paper 2. Mentioned below are the sections of part of Paper 1 and 2
- Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning (VALR) – No.of expected questions – 2
- Decision Making (DM) – No.of expected questions – 21
- Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (QADI) – No.of expected questions – 27
- General Knowledge (GK) – No.of expected questions – 25
Above all, XAT Syllabus for the exam covers the topics from all the section mentioned above.
2. Prepare with best books and preparation material
A lot of good books are available in the market for XAT preparation by various authors. Above all XAT preparation materials are available both online and offline. The first step for preparing involves understanding the basics and clearing the concepts.
Best books for XAT 2020 preparation are:
- How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT – by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT – by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT – by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT – by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT’- by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT- by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT-by Nishit K Sinha
Other than these books, some preparation that is available online and offline are:
- Latest RC Passages and practise questions provided by Study centres like TIME, CL among others
- Editorial and short articles published in English newspapers
- ‘Word Power Made Easy’ – by Norman Lewis
- ‘High School English Grammar & Composition’ – by Wren & Martin
- Regularly solve the Verbal Ability questions from your XAT study material especially on Para summary, Jumbled Paragraphs
Besides this, you can solve previous year test papers, which are readily available online and in the xat exam official website for downloading
Also read: XAT Exam application procedure
3. Prepare through mock test
Solving the mock test gives you a clear understanding of the exam; the practice papers available online and offline are prepared by the experts and the toppers. These mock tests will prepare you for the real-time examination. The more you solve these mock tests; you will get more confidence in addressing the main paper.
4. Focus on section-wise preparation
The most crucial section of the XAT Exam is Decision making (DM) as it tests the decision-making skills of the students. The three different types of questions asked in decision making are Data-based, situation-based and mixtures (mix of data-based and situation-based).
In addition to this, for other sections like general awareness, one needs to keep up to date on all the current affairs and past events, and for verbal ability, books will be handy.
5. Take coaching if required, otherwise, do self-study
Coaching provides you with all the access to the study material and proper classes. Some experts can solve your doubts anytime, however, by self-studying also one can excel the exam and score a good score. Self-Preparation is the best preparation strategy.